Friday, July 15, 2011
My first day
I made it to American Samoa safe & sound. Somehow I managed to lug all 7 million pounds (and that was just the carry-ons!! ((thanks to some great friends who helped me get it that full!!))) from Phoenix to Pago Pago and not die with the effort! We landed early and then had to wait for 45 min for them to move 4 Australian fighter jets off the runway. They were told they could park there because air traffic control didn't remember the 1 of 3 international flights that land weekly was happening. Mind you, the air traffic control tower is in Apia which is in an entirely different country. Not sure how they can be in charge over here but I guess that is just the way it is. We made it to bed around midnight finally which by the way was 4 am AZ time so I was very happy to throw myself down! I am currently staying in Karen's apt over their teaching supply and hardware stores. This is right next to the little fitness center they run here so I got to wake up at 5 am to some exciting zumba tunes and some serious booty (and floor) shaking. Luckily it only held my interest for a song or two and then I was able to fall back asleep. Today I got to meet the principal who I hadn't met before and the vice principal who I had. I also met the vice chair of the board of directors, the head of the government center for childhood development, got a tour of the school (which is still being renovated but we are assured they will be done in time for school), discovered that there is only 1 post office on the entire island, and got a tour of the new, almost ready to open teaching supply store that I will be working in tomorrow. It has been a pretty full day and I think that there is a bunch of stuff that we are going to work on tonight. They are still figuring out where they are going to put me so for this week I am in Karen's apt with her and then both of us move to her daughter Tracy's house either this weekend or the beginning of next week. Keep your fingers crossed for me that they will find me someplace good : ). Right now it is sunny, warm, and humid but with a very nice breeze off the ocean. Don't be too jealous!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment